Financial Aid and Graduate Research Assistantships
Graduate Research Assistantship Information
Each academic year, the Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management selects at least four students for Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) positions. These appointments can be for one or two semesters. GRA work assignments are with individual faculty members, in one of our research labs, or assisting with course instruction. Normally students are hired between June–August for Fall semester and October–January for Spring semester.
2020-2021 GRA Position Openings:
The Department of Sports and Recreation is currently accepting applications for 4 Graduate Assistant openings for the 2020-2021 academic year. The position openings are in the areas of Fitness (1), Facility Operations (1), and Competitive Sports/Intramurals (2). The appointment for all positions will begin August of 2020 and conclude May of 2021; each position is expected to work 20 hours per week. Student fees, school application fees, and other expenses will be the responsibility of individual filling the positions. Application materials must include cover letter, resume and three references. Positions will be open until filled and applicant screening will begin on March 9.
For more information or to apply to the positions, please contact:
- Aaron High, Senior Fitness Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kendra Bailey, Senior Coordinator of Facilities and Events, email@example.com
- Samantha Lowry, Associate Director of Competitive Sports, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on job descriptions, check out the graduate assistantship position openings with Kennesaw State's sports recreation facility.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I determine if a GRA position is available?
The best place to begin is by marking your graduate application regarding your interest in a GRA position. Also, you can check on availability by asking the Graduate Program Coordinator.
All GRA position openings are posted on KSU’s Human Resources website. GRA positions are normally posted around June and also October.
What are the requirements for a GRA position?
Based on Graduate College guidelines, a student must
- have completed the requirements for an undergraduate degree
- have applied for and been fully accepted to a graduate degree program of study
- have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous/current graduate course work
- have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous undergraduate course work if a first semester graduate program student
- be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours (AEHS GRAs must take a minimum of 9 hours per semester unless otherwise approved by the Graduate Program Coordinator)
- have a social security number. International students with an F-1 visa are required to provide a copy of their current visa documentation as well as their current I-20 form, complete with a work authorization stamp from the Office of International Services and Programs. International students must have a social security number prior to being hired
How many hours are GRAs expected to work each week?
GRAs are assigned to exercise science labs for up to 20 hours per week for 17 weeks (per semester). GRAs cannot be employed in another position on the KSU campus.
What are the financial benefits of the GRA position?
GRA stipends range from $2000 to $4000 per semester. Stipends are divided into five payments beginning in September for Fall and February for Spring. In addition, there is a tuition waiver for up to 24 credit hours per year.
Are GRA positions available in the Summer?
There are a limited number of summer GRA positions. Please contact the graduate coordinator for further information.
Is there anything else I should know?
Yes, each GRA pays a special tuition rate of $25 per semester. And, all GRAs are required to have health insurance. Students will be automatically billed for the mandatory health insurance fee at the time of registration. If you have personal health insurance, a waiver of the health insurance fee may be applied for directly with the insurer.
For more financial aid options, please visitKSU FINANCIAL AID