Financial Aid and Graduate Research Assistantships
Graduate Research Assistantship Information
Opportunities to serve as a GRA or GTA vary by year and inquiries should be directed to the program director. Assistantship assignments are with individual faculty members, in one of our research labs, or assisting with course instruction both within and outside of our department.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I determine if a GRA position is available?
The best place to begin is by marking your graduate application regarding your interest in a GRA position. Also, you can check on availability by asking the Graduate Program Coordinator.
All GRA position openings are posted on KSU’s Human Resources website. GRA positions are normally posted around June and also October.
What are the requirements for a GRA position?
Based on Graduate College guidelines, a student must
- have completed the requirements for an undergraduate degree
- have applied for and been fully accepted to a graduate degree program of study
- have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous/current graduate course work
- have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous undergraduate course work if a first semester graduate program student
- be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours
- have a social security number. International students with an F-1 visa are required to provide a copy of their current visa documentation as well as their current I-20 form, complete with a work authorization stamp from the Office of International Services and Programs. International students must have a social security number prior to being hired
How many hours are GRAs expected to work each week?
GRAs are assigned to exercise science labs for up to 20 hours per week for 17 weeks (per semester). GRAs cannot be employed in another position on the KSU campus.
What are the financial benefits of the GRA position?
GRAs receive a stipend and a tuition waiver for up to 12 credits per semester depending on their tier.
Are GRA positions available in the Summer?
There are a limited number of summer GRA positions. Please contact the graduate coordinator for further information.
Is there anything else I should know?
Yes, each GRA pays a special tuition rate of $25 per semester. And, all GRAs are required to have health insurance. Students will be automatically billed for the mandatory health insurance fee at the time of registration. If you have personal health insurance, a waiver of the health insurance fee may be applied for directly with the insurer.Tuition and Fees Cost of Attendance
For more financial aid options, please visitKSU FINANCIAL AID