Traditional BSN Program
The WellStar School of Nursing offers Traditional and Accelerated* BSN programs for students who want to become a registered nurse. The curriculum includes courses in the humanities and the biological and social sciences as well as the theoretical and clinical practice background necessary for the practice of professional nursing.
*Accelerated program students refer to the information available under Accelerated.
Program applications must be completed and submitted by the deadline to be eligible for consideration:
- Spring Semester (of any year): Applications must be submitted between February 1 - June 27 for admission in January of the following year.
- Fall Semester (of any year): Applications must be submitted between July 1 - January 31 for admission in August of the current year following the deadline.
If you have any questions after looking over the information presented above, please contact Nursing Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum requirements for competitive admission to the Traditional BSN program:
- Must have an active application on file to attend Kennesaw State University or a currently enrolled student and have been enrolled within the last three semesters.
- Must be able to log into Owl Express to access application for Nursing.
- Must complete at least 7 of the following 12 prerequisite courses prior to applying to the nursing program—at least 5 of the 7 MUST be in math & science requirements. However, students who have completed more of the math and science pre-requisites or ALL prerequisite courses may have a stronger chance of being admitted.
- All 12 courses must be completed prior to entering the program and enrolling in NURS 3209 - Holistic Nursing:
- MATH 1101 or MATH 1111 (or higher)—Math Modeling or College Algebra
- STAT 1107 (formerly MATH 1107)—Statistics (or approved equivalent)
- CHEM 1151 and 1151L—Chemistry I with Lab*
- CHEM 1152 and 1152L—Chemistry II with Lab* (or CHEM 1211/1211L, CHEM 1212/1212L sequence)*
- BIOL 2221 and BIOL 2221L—Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab*
- BIOL 2222 and BIOL 2222L—Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab*
- BIOL 2261 and BIOL 2261L—Microbiology & Lab*
- ENGL 1101—Composition I
- ENGL 1102—Composition II
- PSYC 1101—Introductory Psychology
- PSYC 3305—Life-Span Developmental Psychology
- SOCI 1101—Introduction to Sociology
*Science courses older than 10 years at time of application must be retaken for consideration into the program
*Courses can only be repeated once. Nursing will only accept the first two attempts of prerequisites.
NOTE: All students must successfully complete American History (HIST 2111 or 2112) & American Government (POLS 1101), as required by the State of Georgia. Make sure you meet this mandatory requirement prior to graduation.
- Cumulative KSU GPA of 3.0 (or transfer GPA for newly accepted KSU students)
- A grade of C or better in all prerequisite and major requirements—courses may only be repeated once
- Completion of the ATI TEAS Entrance Exam (limited to 2 attempts in a calendar year)
If you have any questions about the Traditional BSN program prerequisites, course substitutions, or any other aspect of the program, please contact Nursing Admissions at email@example.com. To accurately address your questions about Nursing Admissions and the requirements, please contact us directly. Although you may seek and obtain information from other sources, the most accurate information about admission to our program is contained on the WSON website, in the University Undergraduate Catalog, or by contacting us at the email above.
KSU’s Nursing program encourages you to declare Nursing-Interest as your major and begin taking the general education component of the program at your earliest convenience. Keep in mind, however, that the Nursing program is highly competitive, with many more applicants than the number of students that can be accommodated.
If you have any questions about the BSN program prerequisites or admissions policies, please contact Nursing Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
All KSU students must complete KSU's General Education Requirements and University-Wide Degree Requirements to graduate with any Bachelor's degree. These courses can be taken before, during,
or after acceptance and completion of the BSN program, but all courses must be completed
before you can graduate with a BSN degree.
PLEASE NOTE: This statement should not be interpreted to mean the nursing prerequisite requirements can be taken while you are in Nursing.
Please keep in mind that the Nursing curriculum is very rigorous and does not allow a lot of flexibility with scheduling given the hours for clinicals and labs. Please plan accordingly if you have not fully met General Education Requirements per the University System of Georgia’s guidelines.
Transfer students and students who already hold a degree in another field may already meet some or all of these general core requirements. Please refer to your DegreeWorks link in Owl Express. If you have any further questions, please contact the Advising Center at email@example.com
Once accepted into the BSN program, you will take a series of 14 courses (42 credit hours) over five semesters. Courses must be taken sequentially, and the exact schedule of courses varies depending on the semester in which you begin the program.
General Education Requirements
Must take SOCI 1101, CHEM 1151 AND LAB, CHEM 1152 AND LAB (CHEM 1211/1212 sequence allowed), and STAT 1107 (formerly MATH 1107) as General Education Requirements
Lower Division Major Requirements
BIOL 2221 and LAB—Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab*
BIOL 2222 and LAB—Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab*
BIOL 2261 and LAB—Microbiology & Lab*
Upper Division Major Requirements
57 Credit Hours
The semester by semester course calendar varies by which semester you start the program. View the starting semester below to see the curriculum grid:
Beginning Fall Semester
Beginning Spring Semester
3 Credit Hours
Select any course in the university curriculumprogram application
Owl Express > Student Services > Nursing Admission Application Form