FAQs for the BS in Sport Management Program
What is the process to request an override for a closed course?
Kennesaw State University allocates course space to students according to a first-come, first-served basis, and students with seniority receive earlier registration times to facilitate the acquisition of classes needed for graduation. Course sizes are set according to instructional size optima and physical space constraints. Overriding the set size of classes is undesirable because it creates physical crowding, hampers attention to individual students, and diverts faculty resources from other important required work obligations. Closed course overrides are rarely granted and almost always limited to graduating seniors.
Examples of Insufficient Grounds for Override Requests
- Failing to register at the appointed registration time.
- Work Schedule/Childcare/Travel Arrangements: The Department serves too many students to accommodate requests for more convenient schedules.
- Schedule Difficulty: Overrides are not to be used to distribute difficulty burdens across semesters.
- Instructor Consent: Instructors cannot approve individual students for overrides into their classes. In order to preserve fairness in access during the registration process, all overrides must go through the standard override process.
- Instructor Preference: Students will not be overridden into one section of the class because they prefer one instructor over another.
- Insurance/HOPE: Students will not be overridden into classes so that they can receive full-time status to receive insurance coverage or to impact HOPE eligibility.
Be aware that students are constantly adding and dropping courses; therefore, it is likely that you will be able to enroll in a class through the drop/add process. If you feel you meet the criteria for an override, please Dr. Tiffany Esmat, Assistant Department Chair (470-578-2652 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Are exceptions granted for the required 2.75+ Institutional GPA (formerly KSU Adjusted GPA) requirement?
No. This is a mandatory requirement for all SM courses beyond SM 2100: Introduction to Sport Management.
Whom should I contact to request to be added to a closed class outside of the Department?
Contact the appropriate Department office for the specific course you are trying to add.
How do I request an override when I receive a prerequisite, major, or other error?
If you are denied registration to an open class that you believe you should be allowed to take, contact the Advising Center at WellStaradvising@kennesaw.edu. In an e-mail report the registration error you received and explain why you think you should be able to enroll in the class (for example, you have taken an equivalent of the required prerequisite course that the system does not seem to recognize). "I think I can handle the class" is not an acceptable explanation if you do not meet the course prerequisites. When in doubt, contact the Advising Center.
How do I request a course substitution?
Course substitutions are handled through the Advising Center. For substitutions that involve courses from other institutions, use the Registrar's Transfer Articulation System to see if a course you have taken has been substituted at Kennesaw State before. Submit substitution requests as soon as possible (please, do not wait until just before graduation before submitting substitution requests), and never assume that a course will substitute for a Kennesaw State course.
How do I change my major?
You can change your major via Owl Express. Majors can only be changed by you. Advisors are not able to do this.
How do I declare a minor?
Minors can be declared via the department where the minor is housed. You can either check the website of the department or visit the department office.
I am getting an error message when registering for upper-level Management and Marketing courses. What should I do?
In order to be eligible for any 3000-4000 level ACCT, ECON, FIN, MGT, or MKTG course, students must meet the following criteria:
- 60 hours of college courses completed overall (junior standing)
- A minimum of 3 Sport Management major courses (SM non-elective) completed
- Good standing in the Sport Management program: Institutional GPA (formerly KSU Adjusted GPA) AGPA of 2.75+
- Meet any other prerequisites listed in the KSU Undergraduate Catalog: catalog.kennesaw.edu
- Complete the Coles College of Business override request form (instructions below) appropriately
You must fill out an override request:
- Go to http://coles.kennesaw.edu
- Click Undergraduate Programs.
- Click Registration.
- Scroll down and read “Prerequisite Override Request for Non-Business Majors.”
- Fill out online override form.
- List that you are a Sport Management major. NOTE: Owl Express must show a record of the following: a) Sport Management major, b) completion of at least 3 SM non-elective classes, and c) earned at least 60 credit hours.
The Coles College of Business retains the right to grant or deny any override request.
If you have problems registering for your business related courses, contact the Coles College of Business Advising Center (470-578-6055). The WellStar College Advising Center cannot resolve these issues.
Am I required to take a Marketing course in my Sport Management electives?
No, but it is strongly recommended by the Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management along with the Department of Marketing and Entrepreneurship that you take a Marketing course for this program.
I know there is a list of pre-approved SM electives. Can I take courses outside of that list?
You must take courses that have already been approved. However, other courses may be considered based on their applicability to the major. This would need to be approved by the Sport Management Undergraduate Coordinator.
Can I take the 4000-level courses (Sport Economics and Sport Finance) while taking the 2000-3000 level courses?
It is recommended that you take those courses during the semester you are taking Senior Seminar.
When should I petition to graduate?
You will petition to graduate in the semester prior to your anticipated graduation date. Specific dates can be found on the academic calendar. You will complete your petition through your personal Owl Express account, and your petition is good for one year.