Admission, Progression, and Retention
The Human Services (HS) major requires students to maintain an Institutional GPA (formerly KSU AGPA) of 2.80 or higher to progress through the major. This policy now requires updated retention and dismissal policies (see below).
Human Services Program Admission Requirements
In order to be accepted as a major in Human Services, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have an institutional GPA of 2.80 or higher
- Completed the following courses with a “C” or greater:
- ENGL 1101: Composition I or ENGL 1102 Composition II
- STAT 1107: Introduction to Statistics
- ECON 1000: Contemporary Economic Issues (in a previous catalog you may have taken ECON 1100 Global Economics)
- PSYC 1101: Introduction to General Psychology OR POLS 2212: State and Local Government
- SOCI 1101: Introduction to Sociology
- HS 2100: Overview of Human Services
- HS 2200: Fundamentals of Nonprofit Organizations
- HS 2300: Cultural Competence in the Human Services
- HS 2400: Interviewing Skills for the Helping Professions
Note: Students must complete ECON 1000 or ECON 1100 for acceptance into the major. Please check that you have taken ECON 1000 for Area B1 or have ECON 1100 (if in a previous catalog)
After completing the above criteria for acceptance:
- Apply to the Human Services Program using the online application
- Applications are reviewed using the deadlines listed below.
- Applicants will receive an e-mail response to their KSU email of acceptance or denial upon review.
- Upon notification of acceptance to the major (by email), students must complete the application requirements by notifying the Program Coordinator of his/her acceptance and attending the required major orientation
- If denied acceptance to the major, students are encouraged to meet with the Program Coordinator, if desired, to review the reason for denial and develop a plan in order to be eligible to reapply to the major.
Current Students Application Deadlines
Fall Semester: June 1 (for admission and registration for fall semester)
Spring Semester: October 1 (for admission and registration for spring semester)
Summer Semester: February 1 (for admission and registration for summer semester)
Transfer Students Application Deadlines
Fall Semester: July 1
Spring Semester: December 1
Summer Semester: May 1
- Applicants will be informed of their application status within 3 to 4 weeks after the deadline to allow for final semester grades to post and application review to occur.
- Accepted majors must attend a required program orientation shortly thereafter.
- Accepted majors are expected to enroll in HS 3000 Foundation Internship within two semesters of their program acceptance.