Human Services Admission and Progression Requirements (Starting Fall 2019)
The Human Services (HS) major requires students to maintain an Institutional GPA (formerly KSU AGPA) of 2.00 or higher to progress through the major.
Human Services Program Admission Requirements
In order to be accepted as a major in Human Services, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have an institutional GPA of 2.00 or higher
- Completed the following General Education Courses with a “C” or greater:
- ENGL 1101: Composition I or ENGL 1102 Composition II
- Any Area Math Course for D1 however, we advise HS majors to complete STAT 1401 Elementary Statistics for their General Education Area A2 & DATA 1501 for General Education Area D1
- ECON 1000: Contemporary Economic Issues (in a previous catalog you may have taken ECON 1100 Global Economics)
- Completed the Human Services Area F courses with a “C” or greater:
- PSYC 1101: Introduction to General Psychology OR ECON 2100 Principles of Microeconomics
- SOCI 1101: Introduction to Sociology
- HS 2100: Overview of Human Services
- HS 2200: Fundamentals of Nonprofit Organizations
- HS 2300: Cultural Competence in the Human Services
- HS 2400: Interviewing Skills for the Helping Professions
Note 1: Students must complete ECON 1000 or ECON 1100 for acceptance into the major. Please check that you have taken ECON 1000 for Area B1 or have ECON 1100 (if in a previous catalog)
Note 2: Students may complete any area D1 Math Course. We suggest HS majors complete STAT 1401 Elementary Statistics for their General Education Area A2 & DATA 1501 for General Education Area D1 requirements.
After completing the above criteria for acceptance:
- Apply to the Human Services Program using the online application
- Applications are reviewed using the deadlines listed below.
- Applicants will receive an e-mail response to their KSU email of acceptance or denial upon review.
- Upon notification of acceptance to the major (by email), students must complete the application requirements by notifying the Program Coordinator of his/her acceptance and attending the required major orientation.
- If denied acceptance to the major, students are encouraged to meet with the Program Coordinator, if desired, to review the reason for denial and develop a plan in order to be eligible to reapply to the major.
Current Students Application Deadlines
Fall Semester: June 1 (for admission and registration for fall semester)
Spring Semester: October 1 (for admission and registration for spring semester)
Summer Semester: February 1 (for admission and registration for summer semester)
Transfer Students Application Deadlines
Fall Semester: July 1
Spring Semester: December 1
Summer Semester: May 1
- Applicants will be informed of their application status within 3 to 4 weeks after the deadline to allow for final semester grades to post and application review to occur.
- Accepted majors must attend a required program orientation shortly thereafter.
- Accepted majors are expected to enroll in HS 3000 Foundation Internship within two semesters of their program acceptance.